Whereas office-based doctors use office visits to communicate and solve health problems with you, Sherpaa doctors use Episodes of Care.
Think of an Episode of Care like an email thread, instead of an office visit. Within this thread, you’ll communicate with your Sherpaa doctor, get prescriptions, test orders and results, and referrals to local specialists. Anytime you log in to Sherpaa, you’re always going to work with the same doctor. So rest assured she’ll know who you are. Over ~1,500 everyday health conditions can be diagnosed and treated by your doctor via an Episode of Care— from a UTI to skin infections to pneumonia to scary new lumps and high blood pressure. This scope is about the same as a traditional office-based PCP.
Why an Episode of Care vs an office visit?
To you, a health issue is a 3 week ordeal. To office-based doctors, it’s a 10 minute tiny snapshot of that ordeal. Don’t you think your doctor should be accessible within minutes and involved throughout, and get paid not each time you spend 10 minutes with her, but to actually solve your 3 week ordeal?
How do you create an Episode of Care?
Anytime you need care, you use your browser (help.sherpaa.com) or Sherpaa’s iPhone or Android app to create an Episode of Care.
What kinds of Episodes of Care can you create?
How long do typical Episodes of Care last?
3 days for a UTI (initial onset of symptoms, antibiotic prescription, confirmed resolution 3 days later)
3 weeks for a pneumonia (initial onset, chest x-ray ordered, antibiotic prescription, multiple messages and check-ins, confirmed resolution 3 weeks later)
3 months for a breast lump (initial discovery, ultrasound, referral to a breast surgeon for biopsy, a few breast surgeon visits, multiple messages explaining answering questions and clarifying situation, surgery, resolution 3 months later)
Explore an Episode of Care
What happens during an Episode of Care?
You and your Sherpaa doctor interact to solve health problems over the course of days to months. Think of this as similar to an email thread all focused on solving your health problem. You can:
- Send and respond to messages/activity at any time of any day
- Share photos to help your doctor diagnose and follow progress
- Answer your doctor’s detailed questions
- Call your doctor for an urgent issue
- View orders for labs and imaging your doctor needs you to get
- View lab and imaging results
- View your prescriptions and choose your pharmacy
- View profiles of local specialists your doctor refers you to
- View the consult reports from specialists you’ve visited
- Read up on the details of your diagnoses and instructions for things you can do at home to feel better
- Rate your Episode of Care
- Rate specialists and facilities you’ve visited in-person
Stats from 7 years of Episodes of Care
- The average number of messages sent is 12 per Episode (most range from 5 to 25)
- The average Episode of Care lasts 14 days from creation to resolution
- 70% of Episodes of Care are handled by a Sherpaa PCP without an in-person referral
- 10% of Episodes of Care are handled by a Sherpaa PCP + a virtual specialist consult without an in-person referral
- 90% of Episodes of Care involve you working with just one Sherpaa doctor you’ll work with within all your Episodes of Care
- 15% of Episodes of Care involve labs or imaging tests
How much do Episodes of Care cost?
An Episode of Care is a flat rate no matter how long it lasts. This makes Sherpaa affordable because you don’t pay per office visit and you don’t pay more because we do more for you— you pay a flat rate for solving a problem. For example, if you have pneumonia, instead of a first office visit and one or two follow-up trips to the office, it’s just one Episode of Care. If you’re an employer or a health plan, Sherpaa charges you $100 per Episode of Care. It’s always no cost to your members so they can begin their care journey online via Sherpaa instead of spending unnecessarily on traditional fee-for-service office visits. Just as you cover urgent care or PCP office visits, it is extremely easy to get started covering Episodes of Care via Sherpaa.
If you’re an individual, you can create unlimited Episodes of Care for $99 for 30 days or $270 for one year.