Hi, I’m Dr. Jay Parkinson.
After finishing medical school at Penn State in 2002, I completed two residencies— one in pediatrics and one in Preventive Medicine at Johns Hopkins— and I also got my Masters in Public Health from Hopkins. I started Sherpaa seven years ago primarily because I was frustrated with how painful going to the doctor was for you, but also how painful it was for me to communicate and problem solve with you. An office visit shouldn’t be the only place we talk and I shouldn’t have to make you take time out of your day to travel to me just so I can talk with you and get paid. And I shouldn’t have to bill you and your insurance company as much as I can.
I shouldn’t perpetuate healthcare’s problems, I should work toward a better way— one that makes both of us happy. So that’s what our team has built.
Here’s what I believe:
- Your own personal doctor should be minutes away, not days or weeks.
- Getting care needs to be mobile-first and, if necessary, office visit-second.
- Getting care from your doctor should be affordable and the total cost of resolving your issue should be fixed and transparent up-front.
- You should have an ongoing relationship with the same doctor for years— no matter where you work or live or who insures you.
- Health problems take time to resolve and your doctor should be available and active in your progress from beginning to end.
- Most issues can be diagnosed and treated without in-person visits because a physical exam is very rarely the crucial missing piece. Getting results from lab or imaging tests, asking thoughtful questions, and maintaining close contact throughout issues are far better ways to diagnose you, confirm the diagnosis, and make sure you’re getting better.
- Getting care should be easy and elegantly designed.
How these beliefs come to life in Sherpaa
- Join Sherpaa for a month ($99) or a year (starting at $270).
- Log in or launch our iOS or Android app.
- In your own words, write a message telling us what’s wrong. Throughout issues, you can call, video chat, send us messages, and share photos. But 95% of the time, people choose to send us messages within the app.
- Within a few minutes, your doctor responds with ~20 targeted questions to understand the details and you answer when convenient, taking enough time to be thoughtful.
- If we’re confident of the diagnosis based on our questions and your answers, we’ll begin treatment by prescribing you medication within our app and suggesting things you can do to feel better.
- If we need to confirm our suspicions, we may order tests at a local lab or imaging center and get the results back within our app so you can see them and we can act on them.
- If we think you need a specialist, we’ll make an appointment for you with a local specialist best-suited to help you. After the visit, we receive the specialist’s report, include it in your Sherpaa profile, and ensure their treatment strategy is carried out.
- Your issue may take days to weeks to months to resolve. Your same doctor is proactively checking in and always minutes away for you.
- In times of wellness, your doctor occasionally recommends innovative health services, apps, and relevant content that make health easier for you.
How I View Health
Live and work in a walkable neighborhood that makes going about your normal day “exercise.” Have close family and friends. “Eat real food. Mostly plants. Not too much.” Share home-cooked meals with family and friends over a few glasses of wine. Push your body with an exercise you enjoy. Relax regularly. Sleep soundly. Find a doctor who practices minimalist medicine and leverage them when appropriate, as you are the CEO of your own health.
I speak all over the world about how technology impacts the culture of medicine
My Daily Life
I live in Williamsburg, Brooklyn with my dog, Buddy. I love road trips, soaking up nature, cyclocross, tennis, hosting dinner parties in the backyard, grilling/smoking/baking things on my Big Green Egg, and seeing my favorite bands.
What I did before Sherpaa
In 2007, I created the world’s first internet-enabled house call practice, founded and designed the first cloud-based electronic medical record in 2008 called Hello Health, and ideated and designed one of the most popular iPad apps for physicians, Omnio, through my design firm, The Future Well.
I’ve given talks on the new frontiers that technology creates for health and medical care at over 50 conferences including TED, Google’s Zeitgeist, the Clinton Global Initiative, The Aspen Institute, and Pop!Tech.
February 2012 to today
CEO and founder of Sherpaa.
February 2010 to February 2012
Co-founded The Future Well.
January 1, 2008 to December 2009
Co-founded Hello Health. I created the concept and then worked with our team of designers and developers to design and build the application, marketing, and physical offices.
September 24, 2007
I started my internet-based house call practice with $1500. My overhead was about 10%. I got a lot of press and drove 7 million people to my practice website. This led to my partnership with Myca to create Hello Health.
Completed a residency in Preventive Medicine at Johns Hopkins.
April – June, 2007
Johns Hopkins Center for Innovation in Quality Patient Care
Toyota Lean Training and Implementation in Johns Hopkins Hospital
Jan – Mar, 2007
Maryland Department of Health and Mental Hygiene
Healthcare Legislative Analyst
Nov – Dec, 2006
International Association of Firefighters
Occupational Health Physician in Residence
Sep – Oct, 2006
Johns Hopkins Community Physicians
Obesity Management Program Design
July – Aug, 2006
Health Research Group
Lead Author on a successful Petition to the FDA to include a black box warning on all fluoroquinolones
Lead Author on a Petition to the FDA to ban Third Generation Oral Contraceptives Containing Desogestrel Due to Increased Risk of Venous Thrombosis
Masters in Public Health, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health
2002 – 2005
Saint Vincent’s Hospital – Manhattan
Department of Pediatrics
1998 – 2002
The Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine
The Milton S. Hershey Medical Center
Saint Louis, Missouri