In brief, Sherpaa is:
- 24/7/365 primary care for all of your employees available in any area in all 47 states (no Arkansas, Alaska, Hawaii)
- Online-first care, in-person strategically coordinated visits only when necessary. It’s one simple place all employees can go to either get treated or have their care strategically coordinated with local, preferred specialists and facilities— it’s primary care + care management/coordination.
- Primary care available to employees at no cost to them— investing in accessible primary care prevents unnecessary costs. Sherpaa is half the cost of traditional in-person primary care visits enabling employees to avoid unnecessary spend toward their deductible and their subsequent downstream costs that affect your bottom line.
- A fundamentally different offering than telehealth. While traditional telehealth can only treat ~30 simple conditions (pinkeye), Sherpaa is Virtual Primary Care and manages ~1,500 conditions. Employees work with the same doctors who own a situation over time and order tests to confirm suspicions and track progress— continuity and testing enable online primary care doctors to diagnose and manage 95% of what an office-based primary care doctor can manage.
We’re a refreshingly unique health service for companies. And there’s nothing else like Sherpaa out there.
Sherpaa is a 7 year old health services company that pioneered Virtual Primary Care (VPC) to offer employees the easiest way to get care— we’re a group of exclusive doctors accessible 24/7 within minutes via desktop or our app. Just launch our app, describe what’s ailing you, and, if helpful, attach some photos. Your Sherpaa doctor will respond with plenty of questions. We’ll be your doctors throughout issues to diagnose and treat you, order tests when necessary, prescribe medications within the app, answer all your questions, and, if needed, arrange care for you with local specialists. Most of the time, in-person doctor visits are unnecessary. You use Sherpaa for anything a primary care doctor or urgent care center would treat, from simple infections to complicated, ongoing issues.
Want to learn more? Set up a time to talk with our founder, Dr. Jay Parkinson.
Continuity with patients solves the limitations of traditional video/phone telehealth.
If the same doctor can work with you on your issue for days to months on end, it massively increases the breadth of conditions that can be handled virtually. If that same doctor can also order tests at local imaging centers or labs to confirm suspicions or coordinate your care with local specialists, all of a sudden they can manage ~95% (~1,500 conditions) of what an office-based PCP can handle. That’s because a physical exam is very, very rarely the missing piece of a diagnosis. Since TelaDoc and the others can only safely diagnose and treat ~30 simple issues (pink eye, etc.), Sherpaa is more similar to an office-based PCP than a video doctor.
Being online and 24/7/365 accessible to patients in 47 states makes comprehensive primary care available to all.
When you marry the scale, convenience, and access of telehealth with the personalized, continuity found in Direct Primary Care, you get Virtual Primary Care.
Strategy: Give virtual primary care to employees at no cost to them
Primary care doesn’t really move the needle. But a reimagined process of getting care and coordinating expensive downstream care does. When primary care rethinks itself, becomes a team player for employers, and is a fraction of the cost, it should be given away. It also makes high deductible plans fair since employees truly can’t shop for care on their own. Virtual Primary Care becomes the Trojan horse that gets ahead of the downstream costs that truly drive most of the messy spend:
- Unnecessary in-person cost abyss care at specialists, ERs, and urgent care
- Expensive procedures and tests with nonsensical inflated prices
- Medications prescribed by doctors who have no idea how much they cost
How much does Sherpaa cost?
We charge employers $100 per “episode of care.” There are no initiation fees nor any PEPM fees.
“Episodes of care” are created by Sherpaa members on desktop, iPhone, or Android. The types of episodes are:
- I’m sick
- I’m hurt
- I have a chronic health concern
- I have a mental health question
- I need a referral to a specialist
- I need a prescription or refill
- I need surgery or a test
- I have a different concern
Here are typical episodes of care. An “episode of care” can last anywhere from 5 minutes (think UTIs) to 5 months (think a breast cancer scare with multiple messages, tests, and care coordination). No matter the length or complexity, Sherpaa charges a flat rate per episode. That’s because within any population, there’s a very predictable rate of simple (lots), moderate (lots), and complex (a few) cases. And in the end, it all averages out to one simple cost that makes working with Sherpaa easy and transparent. On average an employee will create 2.7 episodes of care per year, on par with how people traditionally use primary care. You can then estimate costs based on number of employees and expected engagement (ours is 50-60% of employees).
Sherpaa doctors know the other benefits and strategies within your health plan and leverage them when they’re deciding the care plan for each patient.
Say your plan has Grand Rounds for second opinions or Omada Health for diabetes management or Sano Surgery for bundled pricing for predictable procedures and SimpleSaveRx for medications. Imagine employees with primary care doctors who, during the clinical encounter, see the other services the employee has access to and can coordinate a bespoke plan with these services. Sherpaa doctors see, as part of each employee’s profile, the available suite of benefits. Most doctors out in the wild could care less about a patient’s benefits and they surely aren’t playing on your team as they’re incentivized to maximize their bills. On the contrary, Sherpaa doctors have the employee’s benefit details and work with them to formulate the most cost-effective strategy to resolve their issue. This means Sherpaa doctors can help employees find:
- preferred surgeons for predictable procedures
- medications on a unique formulary or unique procurement method
- labs and imaging at preferred local facilities
- preferred local specialists
Sherpaa uses messaging, photos, phone, video, and ongoing relationships with the same doctors
We leave it up to the employee to decide how they want to communicate with us and they choose asynchronous messaging (email-like rather than real-time messaging) 95% of the time. About 25% of the time, patients share photos. And we jump on the phone or video only about 5% of the time. Patients can always call us at any time if they’d like via our app.
Sherpaa can be turned on in a company at any time
Employees and plan members receive so much information during open enrollment, new plan benefits can get lost in the mix. That’s why you can turn Sherpaa on in your company at any time to achieve near term effects on your employees’ healthcare usage. Sherpaa’s competition is local urgent care centers and PCPs who are all doing everything they can to maximize billing and increase costs for companies and employees. Sherpaa is a fixed cost rather than price gouging from doctors who aren’t playing on your team.
We solve 70% of issues without in-person, claim-generating visits
And when employees do need to be seen in-person, because we’re doctors who have already gotten a good history and understanding of the situation before a claim was generated, we know exactly what the member needs, so we efficiently and cost-effectively coordinate local care with specialists and facilities. Most of the time, this turns many visits and weeks of hassles into one targeted in-person visit. Our tech platform we built from the ground up enables us to optimize and customize each step in our one-of-a-kind care delivery process.
Most employees regularly use Sherpaa for primary care
Most companies see that ~50% of employees use Sherpaa as their PCPs. Some companies have more than 90% and others are ~30%.
Sherpaa is easy to use and free for employees. Instead of trying to make appointments with PCPs, going to urgent care, or ERs, employees just fire up Sherpaa, get their problems diagnosed and treated 70% of the time, or have their in-person care personally arranged for them. It’s free, easy to use, and can actually solve the majority of their problems, rather than ~30 simple issues.
Also, we’re obsessed with creating the best process to educate members about how and why they can use Sherpaa. We have a best-in-class communication strategy that simply works.
And, finally, we believe in elegant design. If a service is difficult to use, people get frustrated and abandon it. If a service is super simple to use and effective, people love it and rave about it.
That’s why our usage is so high.
It’s easy to launch Sherpaa in your company.
Step 1: Request a contract here.
Step 2: Visit here to enter your company’s information, set up your company’s settings, payment information, and all relevant contact information.
Step 3: We’ll send you a custom link to upload the initial eligibility file.
Step 4: Sherpaa ideally needs a list of facilities, specialists, services, and networks unique to your health plan so we can load them into Sherpaa’s platform. To best leverage these strategies, our doctors need to be aware of your unique offerings at the time of clinical decision making.
- Member support services we can recommend to members when relevant (example is Grand Rounds)
- Preferred facilities like radiology centers and labs (template)
- Preferred specialists (template)
- Surgical bundled pricing partners?
Step 5: Communicate Sherpaa to employees. Send out an email from your company’s leadership with this copy. Then, ensure communication about Sherpaa has a presence on:
- The insurance card (example)
- Within the app members use to manage their plan
- Plan description documents
- One Pager in initial packet
- HR communications
- Snail mail index card
Sherpaa in Action
Sherpaa Onboarding for Employees
An Overview of Sherpaa’s App
An Episode of Care
Hear from the Clients
Presentations & Decks
Case Studies and ROI
What do people say about using Sherpaa?
“Sherpaa has been nothing less than an exceptional experience and I feel so fortunate to have access to a wonderful team who works to help me while I’m on vacation, in the middle of the night, across time zones and on my birthday. Truly outstanding!”